Sunday, February 13, 2011

New Kid on the Block

So I started working at Whaley Children's Center this past December. Its been a struggle, the kids are not always willing to work with you (that'd be too easy), and I often get punched, kicked, spit at, and called outside my name. Like everyday actually. But as difficult as its been, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

Recently, we got a new kid. She's from Detroit and to say that she's difficult to work with is an understatement. The first day I met her she questioned why I was there, called me a b*tch, and had a smart mouth. Needless to say, I restrained her the first day I met her and since then, I haven't had an issue from her. She may be my favorite kid. This may have been my first bit of intervention because now when she's upset, she speaks to me about it. I'm still trying to figure out more ways to help this young lady adjust (she's never really been away from home and she's having a hard time adjusting). Any suggestions? Trying to convince a 10- year-old girl to trust you is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment